Frequently Asked Questions
- DECIDE TO HELP A FAMILY IN NEED
Decluttering? Moving? Give your furniture, boxes of housewares, and other items a new lease on life by working with Oyate Tipi
- REQUEST YOUR PICK-UP AND MAKE PAYMENT OVER THE PHONE
Our professional team will provide you a competitive estimate once you fill out our booking form.
To keep the process contact-free, we handle payment upfront. 100% of the funds go directly to our charity operations and you will receive a tax receipt for the value of your furniture items.
- PREPARE YOUR FURNITURE FOR PICK-UP
Leave your furniture for contactless pickup in a garage, on your porch, in the driveway, or in the loading area of your building. We will maintain six feet of distance at all times and will not enter your home. Please label items for “OYATE TIPI.”
- WE PICK UP YOUR FURNITURE
We provide email and text notices of our arrival times and you provide access to our team if needed. Our team is trained to follow proper distancing and safety protocols and will notify you when we’re done and departing.
- FURNITURE RETURNS TO OYATE TIPI
Your furniture will be returned to Furniture Bank where all items are inspected for regifting or repair needs.
Items are heat treated for bedbugs, inventoried and ready to help give families in need an opportunity to make their house a home.
- COMMUNITY REQUESTS FURNITURE AND HOMING KITS ASSEMBLED
As community agencies secure shelter and empty housing, they make requests to Oyate Tipi. Staff and volunteers curate from community donations to find the best home solution we can and prepare for shipping. From empty housing to a home through furnishings!
To cover the cost of the pickup, our competitive furniture removal pricing starts at $150.00 and is based on the size of your items and the number of pieces. As a charitable service, we don’t charge HST on our pickups and you will receive a charitable tax receipt for the value of your items. Request a pickup today for your free estimate.
When you hire Oyate Tipi to remove your used furniture, our pickup fee enables us to:
- Provide free furniture to marginalized members of our community.
- Pay rent and utilities on our facility, which houses:
- the warehouse where we unload donations of gently-used furniture and prepare orders for up to 5 families in need per day.
- our furniture showroom, which offers clients the dignity of choosing furnishings suited to their personal style and space restrictions of their new homes.
- the workshop where we salvage and repair slightly damaged furniture and make them available to families instead of ending up in a landfill.
- Maintain, insure and operate out fleet of 4 trucks year-round! That’s a lot of gas!
- Employ 6 drivers and movers through our social hire program.
- Significantly subsidize furniture delivery costs for client families whose deliveries are not covered by their referring agency.
- Sustain a charity with 12 employees that is only partly funded by financial donations and grants.
- Actively reduce and reuse your usable, gently-used furniture – which means it’s not ending up in a landfill.
Oyate Tipi supports marginalized and displaced families and individuals experiencing furniture poverty. The furniture we receive goes directly to the families we serve and helps provide them with the dignity and security that comes with having a furnished home.
Hire us to remove your furniture
By hiring us for your furniture removal needs, you:
The funds collected from the fees we charge for our removal services go back into the organization to support our mission of ending furniture poverty. These fees allow us to put our trucks on the road, maintain our warehouse space, and provide gently used furniture to families in need.